Place:


Shotwick  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shotwick like this:

SHOTWICK, a township and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The township lies 2¾ miles WSW of Ledsham r. station, and 5½ NW of Chester. Acres, 570. Real property, £819. Pop., 98. Houses, 18. The parish contains also the townships of Capenhurst, Woodbank, Little Saughall, and Great Saughall; the last of which has a post-office under Chester. ...


Acres, 3,574. Pop., 931. Houses, 183. Shotwick manor belongs to J. N. Bennett, Esq.; Capenhurst manor, to the Rev. R. Richardson; and Saughall manors, to H. B. Trelawney, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £100.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter ofThe church is partly Norman, chiefly early English; and the chancel was recently restored. The rectory of Capenhurst is a separate benefice. There are three dissenting chapels, an endowed school, two national schools, and charities £10.

Shotwick through time

Shotwick is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shotwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shotwick, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3703

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shotwick ".