Place:


Swadlincote  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swadlincote like this:

SWADLINCOTE, a township and a chapelry in Church-Gresley parish, Derby. The township lies on the Burton and Leicester railway, 4 miles SE of Burton-upon-Trent; contains collieries and pottery-works; and has a post-office‡ under Burton-upon-Trent, a r. station, a town hall, a church, a Wesleyan chapel, and a Saturday-evening market. Acres, 550. Pop., 1,076. Houses, 201.—The chapelry was constituted in 1849. Pop., 1,553. Houses, 295. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £157. Patron, the Incumbent of Church-Gresley.

Swadlincote through time

Swadlincote is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swadlincote itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swadlincote in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/374

Date accessed: 01st June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swadlincote ".