Place:


Newton Reigny  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton Reigny like this:

NEWTON-REGNY, or newton-Rainey, a village, a township, and a parish, in Penrith district, Cumberland. The village stands adjacent to the Penrith and Cockermouth railway, 1½ mile E of Blencow r. station, and 3 N W of Penrith; and has a post-office, of the name of Newton-Regny, under Penrith. ...


The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Real property, £1, 591. Pop., 141. Houses, 33. The parish contains also the township of Catterlin, and comprises 2, 414 acres. Real property, £2, 683. Pop., 253. Houses, 54. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £96. * Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is ancient but good, and has a chantry chapel. Charities, £5.

Newton Reigny through time

Newton Reigny is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton Reigny itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton Reigny, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3780

Date accessed: 27th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton Reigny ".