Place:


Runham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Runham like this:

RUNHAM, a village and a parish in Flegg district, Norfolk. The village stands near the river Bure, at the Runham-Swim ferry, 4½ miles W N W of Yarmouth r.station; and was once a market-town. The parish includes a detached portion, called New Runham or Vauxhall, immediately adjoining Yarmouth, and on which fish-offices, manure-works, and the terminus of the Norwich and Yarmouth railway are situated; and it was re-turned in the census of 1851 as including also the extra-parochial tract of Nowhere. ...


Post-town, Filby, under Norwich. Acres, with Nowhere, 1, 715. Real property, £4, 413. Pop., exclusive of Nowhere, 396. Houses, 84. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £207.* Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is old, and was recently restored. There are a national school and a poors'allotment of 27 acres.

Runham through time

Runham is now part of Great Yarmouth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Great Yarmouth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Runham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Runham, in Great Yarmouth and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3943

Date accessed: 28th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Runham".