Place:


Herrington  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Herrington like this:

HERRINGTON (EAST and MIDDLE), a township in Houghton le Spring parish, Durham; 4 miles SW of Sunderland. Acres, 1, 002. Real property, £4, 065. Pop., 242. Houses, 43. The manor belongs to the Earl of Durham and the Bishop of Durham. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Herrington through time

Herrington is now part of Sunderland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sunderland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Herrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Herrington, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4212

Date accessed: 29th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Herrington ".