Place:


Little Casterton  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Casterton like this:

CASTERTON (Little), a parish in the district of Stamford and county of Rutland; on the river Gwash, near the Leicester and Peterborough railway, 2½ miles N by W of Stamford. It includes the hamlet of Tolethorpe; and its Post Town is Stamford. Acres, 1,450. Real property, £2,117. Pop., 118. Houses, 24. The manor belongs to Lord Chesham. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Tolethorpe, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £254.* Patron, Lord Chesham. The church is partly Norman and later English, but has been modernized. There is a free school.

Little Casterton through time

Little Casterton is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Casterton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Casterton in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4365

Date accessed: 14th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Casterton ".