Place:


Edenhall  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Edenhall like this:

EDENHALL, a township and a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Eden, near Inglewood forest and the boundary with Westmoreland, 3½ miles ENE of Penrith r. station; and has a post office under Penrith. The parish comprises 3, 354 acres. Real property, £3, 471. ...


Pop., 287. Houses, 48. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Stapletons, and passed to the Musgraves. Eden-hall House is the seat of Sir George Musgrave, Bart.; is an edifice of white stone, recently rebuilt, in a style of much elegance; stands amid sloping grounds, tastefully adorned; and contains a curious ancient drinking-glass, called the Luck of Edenhall, fabled to have been obtained from fairies, noted in several romantic ballads, and sung in a poem of three cantos by the Rev. B. Porteous. Much land, formerly waste, was recently reclaimed. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Langwathby, in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £320.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is beautiful and good; has a low battlemented tower; and contains monuments of the Musgraves, and a brass of one of the Stapletons. A school has £5 from endowment; and other charities £40.

Edenhall through time

Edenhall is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Edenhall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Edenhall, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5067

Date accessed: 27th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Edenhall ".