Place:


Chellaston  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chellaston like this:

CHELLASTON, a parish in Shardlow district, Derbyshire; adjacent to the Derby and Melbourne railway, 4 miles SSE of Derby. It has a post office under Derby, and a railway station. Acres, 810. Real property, £2, 009. Pop., 484. Houses, 109. Gypsum is found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £80. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is later English, but was mainly rebuilt in 1842, and has a fine new tower. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyan s.

Chellaston through time

Chellaston is now part of Derby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chellaston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chellaston, in Derby and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5203

Date accessed: 04th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chellaston ".