Place:


Fulwell  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fulwell like this:

FULWELL, a township in Monk-Wearmouth parish, Durham; on the coast, and on the Newcastle and Sunderland railway, 1¾ mile NNW of Sunderland. Acres, 807; of which 58 are water. Real property, £2, 085. Pop., 208. Houses, 39. Limeworks are here. A human skeleton, 9½ feet long, with two Roman coins near its right hand, was found in a bank of earth, at Fulwell hill, in 1759.

Fulwell through time

Fulwell is now part of Sunderland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sunderland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fulwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fulwell, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5266

Date accessed: 29th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fulwell ".