Place:


Petersham  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Petersham like this:

PETERSHAM, a village and a parish in Richmond district, Surrey. The village stands near the river Thames, under Richmond hill, 1 mile S of Richmond r.station; takes its name from having belonged to St. Peter's abbey at Chertsey; gives the title of Viscount to the family of Stanhope, Earls of Harrington; and has a post-office under London S W. ...


The parish comprises 660 acres. Real property, £6, 100. Pop., 637. Houses, 108. The property is divided. Ham House is the seat of the Earl of Dysart; Pembroke Lodge, the seat of Earl Russell. Petersham House, Petersham Lodge, Sudbrook Park, Montrose House, Bute House, Douglas House, Manor House, Gort House, and Reston Lodge are other residences; likewise the Star and Garter, the famous Richmond hotel. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Kew, in the diocese of Winchester. The church was built in 1505; has been mainly modernized; and contains the grave of the Duchess of Landerdale, someancient monuments, and a tablet to the memory of thenavigator Vancouver. There are a parochial and infantschool, and charities about £50.

Petersham through time

Petersham is now part of Richmond upon Thames district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmond upon Thames has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Petersham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Petersham, in Richmond upon Thames and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6148

Date accessed: 30th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Petersham".