Place:


Clifton  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clifton like this:

CLIFTON, a village and a parish in West Ward district, Westmoreland. The village stands adjacent to the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, near the river Lowther, 2 miles SSE of Penrith; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Penrith. The parish comprises 1, 520 acres. Real property, £2, 404. ...


Pop., 342. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. Lowther Castle, a seat of the Earl of Lonsdale, stands near the village. An old turreted mansion, now a ruin adjoining a farm-house, was the seat of the family of Wyberg. Clifton moor, about a mile south of the village, was the scene of a sharp skirmish, in 1745, between Prince Charles Stuart and the Duke of Cumberland, and described in "Waverley. " The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £150.* Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is early English, has some stained glass, and is good.

Clifton through time

Clifton is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clifton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clifton, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6151

Date accessed: 31st October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clifton ".