Place:


Llawhaden  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llawhaden like this:

LLAWHADEN, or LAWHADEN, a village and a parish in Narberth district, Pembroke. The village stands on an eminence adjacent to the river Cleddau, 3 miles NW of Narberth, and 3½ SW of Narberth-road r. station; and has a post office under Narberth, and fairs on 29 Oct and 22 Nov. The parish comprises 4,490 acres. ...


Real property, £3,803. Pop., 647. Houses, 131. The property is divided among a few. Talybont and Ridgeway are chief residences. A castellated palace of the Bishops of St. David's stood adjacent to the village; was desolated by Bishop Barlow; and is now represented by some octagonal towers and some trefoil lancet-headed windows, and by a fine gateway, with a bold round arch, flanked by two very strong towers. The living is a Vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Bletherston, in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £170.* Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Aidan; is in good condition; and contains a monument of Bishop Houghton, of the 14th century.

Llawhaden through time

Llawhaden is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llawhaden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llawhaden in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6680

Date accessed: 30th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llawhaden ".