Place:


East Donyland  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Donyland like this:

DONYLAND (East), a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the river Colne, at the influx of the river Roman, adjacent to the Wivenhoe railway, 3½ miles SSE of Colchester. It has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 1, 067. Real property, £2, 845. Pop., 1, 052. Houses, 258. The property is much subdivided. Donyland Heath is a meet for the Essex and Suffolk hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £209.* Patron, P. Havens, Esq. The church was built in 1838; a national school in 1863. Charities, £10.

East Donyland through time

East Donyland is now part of Colchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Colchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Donyland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Donyland, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6683

Date accessed: 07th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Donyland ".