Place:


Little Leighs  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Leighs like this:

LEIGHS (LITTLE), a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex; on the river Ter, 5 miles SW of Braintree r. sta tion, and 7 NNE of Chelmsford. Post town, Great Leighs, under Chelmsford. Acres, 1,080. Real property, £2,156. Pop., 171. Houses, 33. The property is diVided among a few. A priory of Black canons was founded here in the time of Henry III., by Ralph de Geinon; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Richard Rich; was converted by him into a splendid mansion; passed to the Duke of Buckingham; belongs now to Guy s hospital; and has left extensiVe and interesting remains. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £400. * Patron, the Rev. JohnGreen. The church is a small building, with a wooden spire.

Little Leighs through time

Little Leighs is now part of Chelmsford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chelmsford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Leighs itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Leighs, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6782

Date accessed: 10th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Leighs ".