Place:


Warsop  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Warsop like this:

WARSOP, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Mansfield district, Notts. The village stands on the river Meden, 5 miles NNE of Mansfield r. station; was once a market town; and has a post-office‡ under Mansfield, and three annual fairs.—The parish contains also three hamlets, and comprises 6,710 acres. ...


Real property, £8,437. Pop., 1,426. Houses, 316. The manor belongs to Sir W. Fitz-Herbert, Bart. Nettleworth Hall is the seat of Lieut. Col. H. Fitz-Herbert; and Park Hall, of Capt. F. Hall. There are limestone quarries and gravel-pits. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £1,400.* Patron, Sir W. Fitz-Herbert, Bart. The church is old. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £16 a year, and charities £109. Bishop Halifax was rector. --The sub-district includes also Mansfield-Woodhouse, and comprises 9,570 acres. Pop., 3,689. Houses, 808.

Warsop through time

Warsop is now part of Mansfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mansfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Warsop itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Warsop, in Mansfield and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/766

Date accessed: 26th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Warsop ".