Place:


Tettenhall  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tettenhall like this:

TETTENHALL, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wolverhampton district, Stafford. The village stands on the Stafford and Birmingham canal, 2 miles WNW of Wolverhampton r. station; contains many good houses; and has a post-office under Wolverhampton. The parish was formerly divided into T.-Regis and T.-Clericorum; includes the chapelry of T.-Wood, constituted in 1866; and contains 7 liberties or hamlets. ...


Acres, 7,600. Real property, £28,717. Pop. in 1851, 3,396; in 1861, 3,716. Houses, 781. Hardware manufacture is carried on. A battle, very disastrous to the Danes, was fought here in 907 or 910. Both the head living and that of T.-Wood are vicarages in the diocese of Lichfield. Value of the former, £216;* of the latter, £300. Patron of both, Lord Wrottesley. The parochial church is early English and was once collegiate. T.-Wood church was built in 1866, and is in the decorated English style. Charities, £84.—The sub-district contains 3 parishes, and comprises 14,222 acres. Pop., 6,046. Houses, 1,292.

Tettenhall through time

Tettenhall is now part of Wolverhampton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wolverhampton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tettenhall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tettenhall, in Wolverhampton and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/771

Date accessed: 01st June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tettenhall ".