Place:


Eye  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eye like this:

EYE, a parish in Peterborough district, Northampton; adjacent to Catswater, and to the Peterborough and Lynn railway, 3¼ miles N of Peterborough. It has a post office under Peterborough, and a r. station. Acres, 2, 670. Real property, £6, 410. Pop., , 375. Houses, 329. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £312.* Patron, the Bishop of P. The church was rebuilt in 1846, and has a lofty spire of 1862. There are two Methodist chapels and a national school. .

Eye through time

Eye is now part of Peterborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Peterborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eye itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eye, in Peterborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7922

Date accessed: 01st June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eye ".