Place:


West Haddon  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Haddon like this:

HADDON (WEST), a village and a parish in Daventry district, Northampton. The village stands 3¾ miles NE of Crick r. station, and 8 NE of Daventry; and has a post office‡ under Rugby, and a fair on 2 May. The parish comprises 2, 900 acres. Real property, £6, 435. Pop., 963. Houses, 232. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to H. Atterbury, Esq. Oster Hill, where P. Ostorius was buried, is here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £240.* Patron, the Rev. G. L. W. Fauquier. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and square embattled tower; and is very good. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed national school, and charities £82.

West Haddon through time

West Haddon is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Haddon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Haddon, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7963

Date accessed: 05th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Haddon ".