Place:


Great Harrowden  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Harrowden like this:

HARROWDEN (GREAT), a village and a parish in Wellingborough district, Northampton. The village stands adjacent to the Bedford and Leicester railway, 2 miles N of Wellingborough; and has a post office under Wellingborough. The parish comprises 1, 415 acres. Real property, £2, 118. Pop., 125. ...


Houses, 25. All the property, with Harrowden House, belongs to the Wentworth Fitzwilliam family. The living is a Vicarage, united with the vicarage of Little Harrowden, in the diocese of Peterborongh. Value, £575. * Patron, the Hon. G. Wentworth Fitzwilliam. The church is good, has a square tower, and contains a brass of 1423. There is a subscription school.

Great Harrowden through time

Great Harrowden is now part of Wellingborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wellingborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Harrowden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Harrowden, in Wellingborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7979

Date accessed: 09th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Harrowden ".