Place:


Newnham  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newnham like this:

NEWNHAM, a village and a parish in Daventry district, Northampton. The village stands in a deep valley, surrounded by hills, 2 miles S S E of Daventry, and 3 ½ W by N of Weedon r. station; and has a postal letter-box under Daventry. The parish is traversed by the river Nen, and comprises 1, 9 40 acres. ...


Real property, £4, 473. Pop., 514. Houses, 115. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Rev. T.Thornton. Newnham Hall is the seat of Miss Hickman. The hills around the village command very fine views. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Badby, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is partly early English, partly of later dates; and has an embattled tower, and an octagonal spire. The basement of the tower has pointed arches; and, on three sides of it, the arches are open. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a slightly endowed Sunday school. The poet Randolph, whom Ben Jonson used to call his son, was a native.

Newnham through time

Newnham is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newnham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newnham, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8098

Date accessed: 07th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newnham ".