Place:


Norton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton like this:

NORTON, a village and a parish in Daventry district, Northampton. The village stands near Watling-street, the Grand Junction canal, and the Northwestern railway, 2¼ miles E N E of Daventry, and 3¼ N N W of Weedon r. station. The parish contains also the hamlets of Muscott and Thrupp; and its post town is Daventry. ...


Acres, 3, 260. Real property, £5, 717. Pop. in 1851, 579; in 1861, 480. Houses, 108. The decrease of pop.was caused by the demolition of houses and the removal of families. The manor belongs to the representatives of the late B. Botfield, Esq. Norton Hall is the seat of Mrs. Botfield. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £270. Patrons, the Representatives of the late B. Botfield, Esq. The church is of the15th century, plain but good; consists of nave and aisles, with embattled tower; and has an alabaster monument to Lady Knightley, fourth daughter of Protector Somerset. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a charity school, and charities 26 acres of land and 12 houses. The schoolstands in the centre of the village; and is a neat building, in the pointed style.

Norton through time

Norton is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8106

Date accessed: 05th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton ".