Place:


Glynde  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Glynde like this:

GLYNDE, a village and a parish in Lewes district, Sussex. The village stands on an affluent of the river Ouse, adjacent to the Lewes and Hastings railway, 3 miles ESE of Lewes; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Lewes. The parish comprises 1, 569 acres. Real property, £2, 067; of which £85 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 321. Houses, 35. The property is divided among a few. Glynde Place, a Tudor mansion, is the seat of the Hon. H. Brand; and Glynde-Bourne is the seat of W. L. Christie, Esq. Mount Caburn, within the parish, has on its summit an ancient circular entrenchment, and was the subject of a poem by William Hay, who lived in last century, and wrote a number of works on various topics. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £132.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Windsor. The church is in the Grecian style; was built, in 1765, by Richard Trevor, bishop of Durham; and has, over its portico, the arms of the see of Durham, impaling those of the Trevors. An obelisk stands in the churchyard, to the memory of two sons of Sir D. Wedderburn; and has an inscription by Mrs. Hemans. There is a national school; and Hay's charity for the poor has £422 a year.

Glynde through time

Glynde is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glynde itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glynde, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8454

Date accessed: 24th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Glynde".