Place:


St Andrews Major  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Andrews Major like this:

ANDREW (St.), a parish in Cardiff district, Glamorgan; 3 miles S by W of St. Fagans r. station, and 5 SW of Cardiff. It contains the village of Dinas-Powis, with a post office under Cardiff. Acres, 3,149. Real property, £3,518. Pop., 570. Houses, 114. Remains exist of Dinas-Powis castle, built by Gestyn ap Gwrgan, and named after his wife Denis, daughter of the prince of Powis. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £410* Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church has monuments of the Howells.

St Andrews Major through time

St Andrews Major is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Andrews Major itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Andrews Major in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8761

Date accessed: 10th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Andrews Major ".