Place:


Slebech  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Slebech like this:

SLEBECH, a parish and a sub-district in Narberth district, Pembroke. The parish lies on the East Cleddau river, 5 miles E by S of Haverfordwest r. station. Post town, Haverfordwest. Acres, 4,586; of which 230 are water. Real property, £2,785. Pop., 280. Houses, 55. The manor belonged to a local commandery of Knights Hospitallers; passed to the Barlows, the Symmonses, and the Phillipses; and, with S. ...


Hall, belongs now to Baron de Rutzen. S. Hall occupies the site of the ancient commandery, and contains the sword which was used at the installation of the knights. The living is a p. curacy, united with Minwere and Newton, in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £281. Patron, Baron de Rutzen. The church is modern.—The sub-district contains 8 parishes and a part. Pop., 3,171. Houses, 674.

Slebech through time

Slebech is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Slebech itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Slebech in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8820

Date accessed: 30th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Slebech ".