Place:


Ovingdean  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ovingdean like this:

OVINGDEAN, a parish in Lewes district, Sussex:near the coast, 4½ miles E by S of Brighton r. station. It has a post-office under Brighton. Acres, 1, 618. Real property, £2, 220. Pop., 121. Houses, 21. The property is chiefly divided between two. The manor, with O. House, belongs to E. ...


Macnaghton, Esq. Charles II.is said, but not on good evidence, to have lain concealed a short time at Ovingdean, after the battle of Worcester, and prior to his departure from Shoreham to France. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £345.* Patron, the Rev. A. Stead. The churchstands on a hill side; is partly Norman, partly early English; was recently restored; and consists of nave and chancel, with a porch and tower.

Ovingdean through time

Ovingdean is now part of Brighton and Hove district. Click here for graphs and data of how Brighton and Hove has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ovingdean itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ovingdean, in Brighton and Hove and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8882

Date accessed: 02nd February 2023


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ovingdean ".