Place:


Peasmarsh  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Peasmarsh like this:

PEASEMARSH, a village and a parish in Rye district, Sussex. The village stands 3 miles N W of Rye r.station; and has a post-office under Staplehurst, and afair on 1 June. The parish comprises 3, 718 acres. Real property, £5, 999; of which £15 are in quarries. Pop., 906. Houses, 194. ...


P. Place is the seat of H. M. Curteis, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £261.* Patron, Sidney-Sussex college, Cambridge. The church stands in a well-wooded park, about a mile from the village; is Norman and early English; and was recently restored. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £16.

Peasmarsh through time

Peasmarsh is now part of Rother district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rother has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Peasmarsh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Peasmarsh, in Rother and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8889

Date accessed: 06th February 2023


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Peasmarsh ".