Place:


Salehurst  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Salehurst like this:

SALEHURST, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Ticehurst district, Sussex. The village stands on the river Rother, 1½ mile N E of Robertsbridge r. station, and 5½ N of Battle; and has a post-office under Hurst-Green. The parish contains also the hamlets of Robertsbridge and Hurst-Green, and comprises 6, 461 acres. ...


Real property, £10, 654. Pop. in 1851, 2, 191; in 1861, 2,014. Houses, 434. The property is much subdivided. Iridge Place is the seat of Henry Micklethwait, Esq. Silver Hill is a precipitous eminence, commanding an extensiveview. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £625.* Patron,Hardy, Esq. The church is early English, and was recently restored. There are chapels for Calvinists and Wesleyans, an endowed national school with £16 a year, and charities £31.—The sub-district contains also two other parishes. Acres, 11, 827. Pop., 3, 181. Houses, 651.

Salehurst through time

Salehurst is now part of Rother district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rother has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Salehurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Salehurst, in Rother and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9003

Date accessed: 08th December 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Salehurst ".