Place:


Stanmer  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanmer like this:

STANMER, a parish in Lewes district, Sussex; 1 mile NNW of Falmer r. station, and 4 NE of Brighton. Post town, Lewes. Acres, 1,346. Real property, £1,046. Pop., 147. Houses, 25. The manor, with S. Park, belongs to the Earl of Chichester. The living is a rectory, united with Falmer, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £141.* Patron, the Earl of Chichester. The church is early English, and has a tower and spire.

Stanmer through time

Stanmer is now part of Brighton and Hove district. Click here for graphs and data of how Brighton and Hove has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanmer itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanmer, in Brighton and Hove and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9020

Date accessed: 02nd February 2023


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanmer ".