Place:


Telscombe  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Telscombe like this:

TELSCOMBE, a parish in Lewes district, Sussex; on the coast, 3½ miles WNW of Newhaven r. station-Post town, Lewes. Acres, 1,349; of which 170 are water. Real property, £1,125. Pop., 156. Houses, 30. The manor belongs to H. and W. Dalbrae, Esqs. T. Tye was a Roman station, and is a meet of the Brighton harriers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £236.* Patron, the Rev. J. Hutchins. The church is ancient. There is an endowed school with £9 a year..

Telscombe through time

Telscombe is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Telscombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Telscombe, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9034

Date accessed: 02nd February 2023


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Telscombe ".