Place:


Hallow  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hallow like this:

HALLOW, a village and a parish in Martley district, Worcestershire. The village stands near the river Severn, and near the Worcester and Malvern railway, 3 miles NNW of Worcester; and has a post office under Worcester. The parish includes also the hamlets of Broadheath and Shoulton. Acres, 3, 556. ...


Real property, £9, 121. Pop. in 185, , 308; in 186, , 507. Houses, 320. The property is subdivided. Hallow Park, situated on a height commanding a fine view of the Severn, is the seat of Captain J. P. Lord. There are nurseries, marketgardens, and several neat villas. The living is a p. curacy, annexed, with Christ's Chapel, to the vicarage of Grimley, in the diocese of Worcester. The old church was rebuilt in 1830, and is now a mortuary chapel. The new church was built in 1869, at a cost of about £4, 000. Christ's chapel is in Broadheath. There are a Lady Huntingdon's chapel, an endowed school with £100 ayear, and a free school in Broadheath.

Hallow through time

Hallow is now part of Malvern Hills district. Click here for graphs and data of how Malvern Hills has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hallow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hallow, in Malvern Hills and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9891

Date accessed: 13th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hallow ".