Place:


Kidlington  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kidlington like this:

KIDLINGTON, a village and a parish in Woodstock district, Oxford. The village stands on the river Cherwell and the Oxford canal, 1¼ mile E of the Oxford and Wolverhampton railway, 2 miles W by N of the Islip station of the West Midland railway, and 5 N of Oxford city; is a large place; and has a post office‡ under Oxford, and a public reading room and library. ...


The parish includes also the hamlets of Gosford, Thrup, and Water-Eaton: and contains the Woodstock-Road r. station. Acres, 5, 010. Real property, £11, 403. Pop., 1, 507. Houses, 340. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to Thomas Chaucer, son of the poet. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Water-Eaton, in the diocese of Oxford; and is annexed to the rectorship of Exeter College, Oxford. Value, £279.* The church is large and cruciform, chiefly of the 15th century, by ranging from Norman to later English; has an early English tower, with later English spire; and contains curiously carved old oak pews, and a memorial window of 1858 to the Rev. Dr. Richards. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, almshouses with £13, and other charities, £13.

Kidlington through time

Kidlington is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kidlington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kidlington, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9893

Date accessed: 04th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kidlington ".